Sunday, November 7, 2010

I've Eaten More Than I've Studied

True. Story.

Here I am again, about 8 hours later, not studying for my cuisine exam feeling inspired enough to write another post!

So, rather than studying, I have...
a. eaten everything in site
b. wandered aimlessly around my apartment...although I use the term aimlessly loosely because it is hard to "wander aimlessly" around a 60 square meter rectangle
c. ventured out in the freezing cold and rain to get more food
d. worn pajamas nearly all day, except to run and get a baguette, shower, then put said pajamas back on

Pastries count since 9am this morning:  3 (pain au chocolat, chausson aux pomme, a couple bites of chocolate cake)
Entire Baguettes that I have consumed since 15:00: 1
Calorie count: unknown, but definitely nearing 6 digits

The day is still young friends, and there are many more hours to do damage to my waistline...ahh!  It just tastes soooo good on a cold Parisian day.  Also, I will be headed back across the Pond in t-minus 9 days, so I figured I might as well indulge in delicious French goodies while I still can.

I realized while I was reading over my recipes that I still need to update y'all on Jonathan's visit!  We had a really great time while he was here, trying to run around and see all of the major highlights in between classes and studying for the written Pastry exam I had at the end of the week.  

We hit up that little shack down the road...some prefer to refer to it as Versailles.  The pictures don't convey it, but I am pretty sure the temperature was negative 78 degrees that day.

We were scared on the train because a. it was the RER and b. there was a serious strike going on, so we didn't know where the train was taking us and when we would get home later that day

I have a serious thing for chandeliers.  I wonder if this would put my suitcase over the 50 lb limit...
Hall of Mirrors!

Beautiful Fall day
 We also wandered around the gardens and headed over to one of Marie Antoinette's "vacation" homes.  I think she and I would have been best friends.  In fact, I read in my book from school that she brought the croissant to France from Austria.  No wonder I love her so much.





One night after class, Jonathan and la tour Eiffel had their first official meeting.


The man who took this picture apparently didn't realize we were aiming to get the entire tower in the background...





Next Up: L'Arc de Triomphe!

 


I am not completely convinced that Jonathan's eyes are open
After class, we headed up to Montmartre to visit my home away from home -- the baby bottle fondue place!! Seriously, 3 visits in the past 3 months?  I am definitely a regular.



The last stop on Jonathan's visit was Pere Lachaise Cemetary.  The final resting place of Oscar Wilde, Jim Morrison, and many other famous and not-so-famous people alike.

Oscar Wilde
Jonathan in front of Jim Morrison's grave


 We ended his trip with a visit to a delicious restaurant down the street from my apartment called Cafe Constant.  I highly recommend it!

 
I'll let y'all know how my cuisine exam goes!!  Say a little prayer!

- a tout à l’heure!

1 comment:

  1. Marie Antoinette gets a bad wrap! I think she sounded fun. I love Sofia Coppola's film about her. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete