Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Ducasse Experience

Mom flew in Tuesday morning, and we had a very busy week planned.  Graduation was on Wednesday morning, and then we were taking an overnight train to the French Riviera/Provence to spent a few days before the start of Superior.  Since Wednesday was going to be fairly hectic with graduation and getting ready for the trip, I made lunch reservations at a bistro owned by the very famous French chef, Alain Ducasse, on Tuesday afternoon.

Ducasse has several restaurants in Paris (and around the world) that are ridiculously fancy --- including Le Jules Verne which is located 125 meters up la Tour Eiffel and Louis XV in Le Hotel de Paris down in Monte Carlo, just to name a few.  I had been dying to go to one of his restaurants because I have heard so much about him since coming to Paris.  The bistro we went to, Aux Lyonnais, was a little more casual, but just as delicious.

The interior decor was adorable!



All of the dishes are from Lyon (hence the name), which is a region that is well known for their longstanding and hearty gastronomic traditions.

My starter: Lentil and Vegetable Velouté

The server brought the bowl to the table with just veggies and lentils in it, and then he brought out a pitcher and poured the liquid over the top.  That little touch was perfect.  I loved it!

Mom's dish: Slow Roasted Pork Belly with Potatoes

My dish: Quenelle of Sandre (white fish) with a Crawfish Sauce.  We made this dish in class!
Dessert 1: Chocolate Praline cake with Crème Anglaise
Dessert 2: Apple Gratin with a Currant Jelly

The end of a delicious lunch

Although it would be fun to go to one of his Michelin starred restaurants (Le Jules Verne is on my list...maybe one day I'll make it up there), we had a perfect lunch, and I feel like it gave me just the right taste of Alain Ducasse.

I'll leave y'all with reason 23984902384 why I love Paris.  We left the restaurant and started heading towards the Metro when we looked down a random street and saw Sacre Coeur shining vibrantly against the bright blue sky.

Isn't it beautiful??
- a tout à l’heure!

No comments:

Post a Comment