Saturday, April 2, 2011

Once In A Lifetime

Before I tell y'all all about graduation, I wanted to share the first true gastronomic experience that I've had in Paris (and probably ever in my life).  I had planned to do something fun over the weekend between my Cuisine and Pastry exams to celebrate the end of the session --- but I wasn't sure what.   A friend from class invited me to a dinner party at a fancy restaurant, so I hopped on board!

I had no idea what to expect, although when he invited me he said that this restaurant was a favorite of the head chef at our school...and that it was fairly expensive.  Well, expensive is quite relative, and considering that I'm working with a pretty slim bank account as it is, I figured I would treat myself and worry about the details later.  So, I got all dolled up and headed out for a night on the town.

The restaurant is called Hiramatsu, and it's a fusion of French and Japanese cuisine located in the swanky 16th arrondissement.  As to be expected from this type of establishment, we were treated like royalty from beginning to end (probably because we were the first table to arrive and the last to leave).  It was nice have such an attentive staff considering good service is pretty hard to come by in this city.




We kicked off the celebration with  bottle of champagne while we looked over the menu.


The menu on the right was given to the ladies (without the price), and the menu on the left was given to the gentlemen (with the price)

It's hard to make out the menu because the print is so small, but we decided to go with the Delice Gastronomique tasting menu rather than a la carte.  I mean, it was a very unique experience for most of us at the table, so why not go all out?  The tasting menu was comprised of 10 different dishes from a selection of appetizers, to entrees, a cheese plate, and a few desserts. 

Pumpkin Soup with a White Truffle Ice Cream

Pear, Champagne, and Leek Aspic with Citron Cream, Black Truffle, Pear Puree, and Hazelnut Oil

Foie Gras Ravioli with 'Sauce Verte' and a White Truffle dressing on the Lettuce
There was all of our wine and the next course ready to be served

This was my favorite course --- Scallops in a Red Peppercorn Sauce, Watercress with Orange Zest and Tomato Puree with Orange
Roasted duck breast with potatoes, leeks, and a black truffle sauce

The cheese tray!

My plate of cheeses varying from Goat Cheese, to Blue Cheese, to Munster

This wine was bottled in 1976
Our Pre-Dessert: Vanilla Ice Cream with a Red Berry Mix in a Floral Flavored Gelatin

Caramel Ice Cream with a Pear and Vanilla Sorbet inside a Cardamom/Caramel Cup

Cannelle, Pistachio Macaroon, and Bergamot & Dark Chocolate Truffles

The bill

The most I've ever seen on a bill...and the terrible exchange rate made it that much more painful

Over the course of the evening it was revealed that we were a group of culinary students, so at the end of our meal they let us take a tour of the kitchen.

The secret door that led to the kitchen
Isn't it beautiful?  Look at all of that copper!
The dinner gang

The entire kitchen is run by only 5 Japanese chefs!!  Their work and attention to detail was incredible.

Because I am a huge nerd (and I had consumed a few glasses of wine), I took a picture of la Tour Eiffel before walking into my building because I wanted to remember exactly how it looked on that fabulous evening.



Over the course of the night, we enjoyed good wine, outstanding food, and fabulous conversation.  While I am more of a down home cookin' kind of gal, I had a blast pretending to live the life of the rich and famous and experience something like this.  Although I may have to eat stale bread and moldy cheese for the rest of my stay here because I won't be able to afford anything else, it was a memorable experience that I wouldn't change a bit.

- a tout à l’heure!

No comments:

Post a Comment