Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Around the World [Paris] in 80 Days (or 4) - Part 2

Day 3 (Also known as the "Day of 1,000 Lives")

We rode one of the hop on/hop off boats on the Seine to get over to Notre Dame (we went to the top which has been one of the highlights so far!!)  and then headed up to Sacre-Coeur and Montmartre
Mom on the boat!






The Center of Paris!  Right in front of Notre Dame
Waiting in line to go to the top of Notre Dame
At this point, we were kinda winging it on what our plans were...until 2 American girls waiting in line for Notre Dame in front of us were talking about how they went up to Montmartre the night before and had dinner at a really fun fondue restaurant that served wine in baby bottles.  I got really excited because Becky told me about that place, but she had no idea where it was!!! So, we changed whatever plans we had and decided we simply HAD to go there for dinner...more to come on that later!!  It was definitely an experience!! Now, back to Notre Dame....

View from the TOP!

Just hanging with the gargoyles...no sign of the Hunchback (lame, I know, but I'm sorry I had to!!)
The entrance to the bell tower
Then we went up even further to the very top...it was really tight quarters up there

So, after Notre Dame, we were on a mission ---
1. Sacre-Coeur
2. Montmartre walking tour
3. FIND THE PLACE WITH THE BABY BOTTLES!!!
In Montmartre before the trek up to Sacre-Coeur (but...we cheated and took the funicular)
1. Sacre Coeur
2. Montmartre walking tour
3. FIND THE PLACE WITH THE BABY BOTTLES!!!

The first bistro - EVER!
Clos Montmartre Vineyard - The only vineyard in Paris.  They produce only 300 liters and auction them off at an annual festival.
van Gogh's House!!!
Moulin de la Galette - The scene of Renoir's Bal du Moulin de la Galette, which I saw today in real life at Musee d'Orsay and it was BEAUTIFUL!!! (more on that later!)
Moulin Rouge!
1. Sacre Coeur
2. Montmartre walking tour
3. FIND THE PLACE WITH THE BABY BOTTLES!!!

We found it!!!!!  It is literally a hole in the wall...and you are packed in so tight that you have to step over the table in order to get to the bench.

"Why do they serve wine in baby bottles?" You ask?
I have no I idea!!!!  I didn't question it though...
And neither did Mom!
Yummmm!!!  Cheese and bread and steak, oh my!
So, 3 baby bottles a piece later, it was time to go on a night cruise on the Seine!

What a day!!!!!!!

Next up: Mom's last day :(

4 comments:

  1. 1) LOVE the Eiffel Tower background pic!
    2) Those baby bottles are so wrong on so many levels.
    3) Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are doing such a great job..love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH!!!! I love the bottles, I can't wait to have a kid now that I know it is acceptable to drink wine from my own baby bottle.
    p.s.- I WANT ONE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey...I told you it was in Montmartre, but glad to get a shout-out! That's probably my favorite area of Paris, so hope you enjoyed. Another place you should go is the catacombs. It's close to where you live. Lots of walls made of skulls and stuff; it's neat. Also, I'm sure you figured this out, but just in case, make sure if you're not going to hall it up the escalator/stairs, stay on the right side. I keep thinking of all the advice I failed to give...Have you gotten your Navigo yet?!?!

    ReplyDelete