Friday, August 20, 2010

Bienvenue en France!

We made it!!!  My feet have never been happier to hit solid ground!!

Acting super touristy in baggage claim...why not?!

Mom looking as lovely as ever at 06:00

 The flight arrived EARLY this morning, and Mom and I literally hit the Parisian streets running (after a quick shower and nap a the hotel - obvi).  We ventured out to find my apt (1 km from La Tour Eiffel!!!!!) and took the Metro right over to Le Cordon Bleu.  The school itself is located on a very quiet, nondescript street, and the facade blends in with the surrounding residential buildings.  I don't really know what I was expecting, but I love how something so well known and respected is located off the beaten path.  The street was completely quiet except for the banging of pots and pans that came through the open windows of the second and third floor kitchens.  We may or may not have been creeping for a while, starring in awe and watching people walk into the building...but that's okay because I will be there in t-minus 10 days -- AH!



After that, we grabbed a beer and walked around until it was time to go see my apartment --- much more to come on that later, but here is a quick view from the hotel we stayed at that is on my street...



I want to take a quick moment and turn to a more serious note....When I first decided to start a blog, I  thought it was important for me to be real in everything that I write.  Life isn't always flowers and sunshine, so I wanted this blog to be a real online journal of my travels, covering the ups and the downs and everything in between... and while on the plane, I had A LOT of time to think...7 hours and 48 minutes to be exact.  So, after 3 delicious courses of airplane food (seriously, the mashed potatoes were incredible!), 2 beers, and 1 mild panic attack later (for those of you who don't know, I HATE flying with every bone in my body!!), we were settled and I was finally able to relax -- for a moment, least.  The cabin was completely dark, and everyone was asleep besides myself and another girl tooling around on her iPad.  As I sat there hoping and praying that we would make it in one piece, I decided to open the window and check out the view.  We were somewhere over the middle of the Atlantic, and I could barely make out the clouds below with the bright stars above --- I could only really describe it as complete quiet...it was like looking out the window in the morning after a snowfall, and the still blanket of white covers everything and it is as if time stands still....or maybe I just see that?  Anyway, that is where I had my first "moment"(hopefully the first of many)...the moment where I felt something greater going on out there.  It was as if the universe was sending me a gentle reminder that I am truly a tiny speck in the grand scheme of things, and maybe some of my problems  and issues aren't really that big of a deal when you look at the big picture.  It also really got me thinking about David, but for the first time in a long time, it wasn't a feeling of pain and sadness, but instead a feeling of true happiness and excitement.  Life really works in mysterious ways, and I get that, but part of this journey (other than cooking -- obviously), is to do some serious soul searching and heal my wounded heart.  I know I will never be the same from the events of the past year, however, I am really working to overcome the sadness and pain that has been haunting me, and work to make the most out of every single day that I am so blessed to have.  So, this is dedicated to you, Brother, while I miss you dearly every second that passes by, I am making this promise to you that I will do my best to live this entire adventure to the absolute fullest for the both of us. 

- à tout à l’heure!

3 comments:

  1. Well said Laura. I so look forward to reading about your adventure. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!? Keep the posts comin'! So how was the baby bottle place? I was expecting a post on that days ago... So things are looking up on the job front; I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. woo! jobs!! word on the street the race is super hard, so im going to need you to be here for that! also, baby bottle place is coming!

    ReplyDelete