Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Joyeux Mardi!

Another long post -- I'm sorry!! I don't have anyone to talk to yet, so I have to get it all out!!

Today was a wonderful day, that began with a wonderful morning.  Let's see...I woke up around 10:30, and started unpacking and organizing some of my stuff (I have been working on and off all day, and I still don't see the light at the end of the tunnel -- and I can't debut my apt until I get it together!  I promise it will be done in at least the next 3 months...).  I made my first coffee with the french press...eh, still needs a little bit of work to get it just right, but it definitely hit the spot!

Negative Nancy from yesterday disappeared at some point during the night, so I was in a great mood this morning that stayed with me all day!  While I was unpacking, I would stop every couple of minutes to look around and just smile because I am finally here...and today, that feels really good.  All I could think about was what I wanted to do, and the possibilities were endless!!  I was still pretty traumatized by yesterday's events, so I decided to avoid the Metro at all costs and spend the afternoon breaking in some new shoes (that may or may not be one size too small...) by exploring my neighborhood.  I made a promise to myself before I left that I would not longer schlep around in t-shirts and flip flops, and that I would force myself to put on make up every day, so ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the new and improved me:

It's kinda blurry and far away, but you get the gist.

Anyway, so I set off to grab at a sandwich at a boulangerie that Mom and I drooled over every time we passed by.  As I was walking through Champ de Mars, I had to stop and pull out my journal so I could capture the exact way I was feeling.  I had just walked through hoards of tourists taking pictures of La Tour Eiffel, and I got excited because A. I knew how they felt seeing it for the first time (or the hundredth time) and it made me really happy B. I wondered what they though when they saw me as I passed by...I mean, I was walking with purpose listening nonchalantly to my iPod (while sneaking peeks at my new friend every so often), so surely I looked like I belonged, right??  I love how I can try and look like a local sometimes (as long as I don't open my mouth...), yet I can don comfortable shoes and jeans and jump into the sites with the rest of the tourists, as well. 

After my little "moment", I continued on in search of my sandwich.  When I got there, I knew I HAD to get one of their baguettes, so I fumbled through some French and ended up with not one, but TWO!  I'm still not quite sure how that happened, but I wasn't about to turn down more bread.  I stuffed them in my bag like the locals do, and tried not to think about all of the crap that would get on them while I walked around...


I ate my delicious poulet sandwich while walking around Rue Saint Dominique, enjoying the cool weather and perusing the shops.  Here are some random street shots from today...

My home away from home --- where the delicious baguettes came from!
And look who I found?!


And just as I was walking back home through Champ de Mars on my way home, look what I saw....

 I have never been happier to see red and black --- had she not run away while I was fumbling for my camera, I definitely would have stopped and asked her to be my friend. 

The day ended with my first solo grocery store experience...Google on the phone and my little French/English dictionary helped me get through...along with a stop at the flower shop down the street and another bakery to get some sort of peach cake (ah -- I couldn't resist!!)  I also went on a run around the Eiffel Tower which was good because I hadn't done anything in a really long time (and I have that 10 mile race creepin' on up..eek!) and it helped to clear my mind a little bit.  I know there will still be difficult days, but it makes me feel good that I can have days like today and feel positive about this situation.  I still miss home and miss my friends and family, but I know that I can get through this and have a great time doing it!

P.S.  I have eaten one of the baguettes already, and I am about to start work on the second one...

- à tout à l’heure!

2 comments:

  1. I knew you had it in you--Love you AP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah new shoes and chic outfit and bag full of baguettes!! You are already une parisienne!!

    ReplyDelete